Purple Bob's Hobbies

Bob's Little Purple Bear Cave Of Model Kit And Hobby Supplies
Welcome To Purple Bob's Hobbies Forum

Ford Quadricycle 1896

All scales of model engineering projects and even full scale projects that fall into the hobby class.

Ford Quadricycle 1896

Postby Micron » Wed Jul 24, 2013 7:30 am

Hi Guys,
Though I'd post a few interesting bits and bobs to start this forum rolling..... So, here's a project I'm thinking about having a go at, at some point.
quad1.jpg

A Ford Quadricycle, which was Henry Ford's first car....... Seems like a pretty good full size model engineering project. I'd guess about three months work to put one together.

Here's another one built as a replica in Italy......

Apart from the cylinders which are fairly simple the engine is mostly made out of off the shelf plumbing parts.

Best Regards,
Jules
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Micron
Global Moderator

Re: Ford Quadricycle 1896

Postby Micron » Thu Sep 05, 2013 3:44 am

Still doing the research on the practicality of this project,

If I'm not 100% fussy about sticking to the original design, (ie not a 100% replica) then this could be built in the same way that Henry Ford built the original. That is: to use locally sourced materials and bits and pieces that are cheaply available. Like the plumbing fittings that Ford used... The rest of the construction is very straightforward. And mostly uses bits of stock materials.

I should be able to find some 28" Bicycle wheels cheaply somewhere... Maybe E-bay.

I now have a set of drawings for the machine. It looks so like building a model steam engine, that I'd have no trouble with this I think.

ford-psm-up.jpg

I recently found a now out of copyright article, that was published in a US magazine in the early 1960's about a replica being built. Which has some very interesting photographs.. If there's some expression of interest I'll upload the 7 pages at a readable and printable size.

Best Regards,
Jules
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Micron
Global Moderator

Postby MDF » Sun Sep 15, 2013 12:23 pm

WOW! This is a very nice project, Would it be legal on the road in the UK?. Only I'm guessing that it'd have to have an SVA Test, bit like an engineering MOT, before they gave it a licence plate. and given it doesn't have brakes and mudguards and seatbelts and some other bits. I suspect it might not pass that. I would check that out if you want to use it on the roads.

Roger Carpenter.
MDF

Postby Micron » Mon Sep 16, 2013 8:55 am

Many thanks Roger,
Unfortunately if it was constructed to the actual original Ford design, you're right, it wouldn't be road legal. Which is a pity really, but the plan is really to build it for vintage rally and steam fairs where it doesn't need to actually be road legal. It would be nice if could be made to comply, but I think it'd be very difficult to achieve on this vehicle.

Best regards,
Jules
Micron
Global Moderator

Postby MDF » Tue Sep 17, 2013 4:38 pm

I was wondering if you are you going to post that Popular Science article? I'd quite like to read that.

Also you said you had plans for the Quadricycle, are they ones you can publish here or are they available somewhere else? I'd like a look at those too. It looks like it would be a good winter project to take on.

Roger
MDF

Postby Micron » Wed Sep 18, 2013 12:44 pm

Hi Roger,
Yes.. No problem at all with publishing the seven page article. It's been out of copyright for a long time. I'll sort that out in the next few days.

The drawings are another matter though.... I'll have to ask permission for that, they were drawn up by a guy who created them based on a set that were sold in the 1960's or 70's so there may be an issue with distributing them. They are now a set in "Solidworks" format, so they may need to be converted to something else to bu more useful.

Technically nobody can hold copyright or any patent over the original machine, I will ask. If he's OK with them being distributed, then I'll be able to PM you a link to download them, if he's happy about it.

Again once I have permission, I'll be happy to give a download link to anybody who asks in a forum Private Message.

Best Regards,
Jules.
Micron
Global Moderator

Postby Micron » Thu Sep 19, 2013 5:28 am

Here's the download link for the 7 page Quadricyle article.... as promised above. Still awaiting a response about the drawings.

Click This Link To Download It: http://www.purplebob.co.uk/files/quadricycle.zip 3.2 Megs it's a PDF document inside a compressed .zip file

Best Regards,
Jules.
Micron
Global Moderator

Postby MDF » Fri Sep 20, 2013 11:58 am

Micron wrote:Here's the download link for the 7 page Quadricyle article....

That's great, thanks. Looks very possible. If the drawings are available as well it would be entirely possible. Please let me know if they become available.

Roger
MDF

Postby Micron » Fri Sep 27, 2013 12:00 pm

MDF wrote:That's great, thanks.

No problem! I'm attaching the missing page 180 from that article as well... just found it lurking on the internet.

As for drawings.... I now have permission to let people have them, but not to put them on open download. So all you need to do is send me a PM (forum private message) and I'll make sure you get a copy of the construction drawings.

Anybody else who wants the drawing set please just ask me........
However..Noobs to the forum please note, that I will only mail the drawings to active members who have made a few posts anywhere in our forums and talked to other people. If you're not an active member please do not bother to ask for the drawings.

They're very good set of drawings and include everything you need to actually build one from the ground up. The only thing currently missing is the electrical details... Most people who've done this use a low tension Model T Ford type coil to run the plugs.

p180_72.jpg

The missing Page 180.. click to enlarge... you must be logged in here to see it!

Best Regards,
Jules.
Micron
Global Moderator

Postby MDF » Fri Oct 04, 2013 9:28 am

Many Thanks!

The drawings are spectacular and very complete. I didn't realise that they contained so much detail. They detail everything except the ignition. Do you know what that entails or do you have a link to the detail for that??

Roger.
MDF

Postby jimbo jones » Fri Oct 04, 2013 9:31 am

pm sent. I would like a copy of the drawings as well please. This looks very interesting.

All the best. Jim.
jimbo jones

Postby Micron » Sat Oct 05, 2013 12:45 am

jimbo jones wrote:pm sent. I would like a copy of the drawings as well please.

Reply sent Jim... Enjoy the drawings and if you do build one, let us know.

MDF wrote:The drawings are spectacular and very complete. I didn't realise that they contained so much detail

Yes... As you say very detailed. Every component necessary to build the Quadricycle is on the drawing set. The ignition system you asked about is very basic.

There's the spark plug in the side of the cylinder... The points are just those contactors you can see being rocked backwards and forwards to the rear of the exhaust valve rocker, at the back of the engine. Most people who make them use a battery in the foot locker, and put a simple vibrating coil in. Something like a Model T Ford coil. If you want more poke in the spark I guess you could fit something like a modern type Lucas coil. They're cheap enough from any car parts dealer.

Best Regards,
Jules.
Micron
Global Moderator

Postby Stenerso » Thu Mar 12, 2015 8:13 pm

has anyone on this forum started building a quadracycle? I am finishing a hit and miss engine right now, but may be interested in the Quadracycle at some point.
Stenerso

Postby Purple Bob » Sat Jun 06, 2015 10:58 am

Stenerso wrote:has anyone on this forum started building a quadracycle? I am finishing a hit and miss engine right now, but may be interested in the Quadracycle at some point.

As far as I know.... Jules (Micron) is still looking at doing this .... But I'm guessing he might want a pay rise if he does :D He can always dream.

Best Regards,
Purple Bob.
Purple Bob
Site Admin

Postby dtb810 » Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:43 pm

did anyone ever end up building this?

I have an Amish friend who builds buggies and I'm always teasing him I'm going to turn one into a horseless carriage but this is better and looks doable.
dtb810

Postby dtb810 » Thu Sep 14, 2017 2:48 pm

Hi Micron,

I would really like to build this quadricycle but i cant seem to get a response from this forum.

Are people still active on here?

Thanks
Dave
dtb810

Postby Purple Bob » Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:35 pm

dtb810 wrote:Hi Micron,
I would really like to build this quadricycle but i cant seem to get a response from this forum.
Are people still active on here?

Helo Dave.... Yes we are still here... but we're not here on the forum every day, so it can sometimes take a couple of days to get a reply. I will mention to Jules that you were asking about this. and I'm sure he will be able to help out.

Best regards,
Purple Bob.
Purple Bob
Site Admin

Postby dtb810 » Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:39 pm

Thanks for getting back to me.

i look forward to this build.

Thanks
Dave
dtb810

Postby dtb810 » Fri Sep 15, 2017 2:24 pm

Well I have two hydraulic cylinders coming to use as cylinders for the engine thinking maybe I'll try to make my own spark plugs by drilling out a bolt and using welding rod as a electrode and try firing ceramic around it.

I'd use the same thread as a commercial spark plugs in case it didn't work.
dtb810

Return to Model Engineering And Live Steam