Purple Bob's Hobbies

Bob's Little Purple Bear Cave Of Model Kit And Hobby Supplies
Welcome To Purple Bob's Hobbies Forum

My Dutch Tug Boat....

My Dutch Tug Boat....

Postby Purple Bob » Sat Aug 24, 2013 12:43 am

Thought I might just post something about my tugboat project......

I've been working on this on on and off for the last couple of years. So it's a bit of a slow project.
tugboat1.jpg

This is sort of how the finished model should look..... It's more or less the same type of boat.

This odd project all started when Mike, an engineering friend of mine, came into the workshop one day and had tucked under his arm a drawing of a river tug. Claiming that there was no way that the drawing was correct and that nobody would ever be able to build a good model from it. (more of that later) I think he'd found it as a free plan in a copy of Model Boats or some such similar magazine.

I took one look and thought it was a great looking prototype, especially as the real one was a relatively small boat...... Not one to shy away from a challenge, I immediately (in my usual stupid challenge response way) said: I'll give it a go!. Of course I didn't know what sort of aggravation I was letting myself in for at that point.

Tug-Elevation.jpg

So here's the original drawing, well at least the elevation.... There were some sections and a plan view as well, not that I saw the errors immediately or I might not have taken it on LOL :D The plan was about 26" or so... way too small for me, so I though OK If it's to be done lets make it big enough to be easier to handle, but small enough to still fit on the back seat of the car. It's now 42" long :roll:

So it's in progress.... Much more detail to follow soon..... Including a lot of drawings and pictures of the model as it goes together.

Best Regards,
Purple Bob.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Purple Bob
Site Admin

Re: My Dutch Tug Boat....

Postby Purple Bob » Sun Aug 25, 2013 3:54 pm

PART 2
Before I get started.....Just a reminder that: You need to be signed up and logged in to the forum, to see the pictures that are hosted on the forum itself....... To enlarge any forum hosted picture, you can just click on it.

The next thing that needed doing was a bit of conversion of the original drawing set to get it to the right size.. Having worked out how big I wanted the model to be, I needed to scale the drawings. So I scanned them and pulled them into Photoshop and made a new version to finished size.

The front / back view, (shown here) showed the sections so I was able to create a new separate front and back view.
tugboat2.jpg

From that I was able to position the prop shaft and at least had the outline sorted out.... That of course doesn't give you the structure of the boat. Just the outline shape at specified positions.... More work needed....

So the next task was to pull the four separate view drawings into Google Sketchup and then get sketchup to size them to exact finished size..... I now had a better idea of how the finished boat would look.
tugboat3.jpg

It was at this point that the errors became very apparent... things just didn't line up between the plan view and the elevation. I'm not going to name the person who created the original drawings, because it's a little unfair to criticize them when they actually inspired the attempt to build a similar boat.

The above said, two of the cross sections were shown out of position, and much of the superstructure and deck detail just didn't match up between the plan and elevation. This was OK on this model, because it's very generic Dutch Tug and there are so many variations in the real ones that it was easily possible to fudge things about until it looked about right. That of course meant that it caused problems when it came to fitting the deck and designing the internal structure.

Much more to follow....... If anybody likes the look of it, and wants a functional set of parts drawings, I'll be happy to share them later in this series of articles. Let me know! If there's enough interest posted on here, I'll set them up as a free download.

Best Regards,
Purple Bob.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Purple Bob
Site Admin

Postby MDF » Sun Sep 15, 2013 1:04 pm

Those are nice build images Bob. Will you be updating this series of articles soon? I also build model boats and this one looks to be a good size to fit in the car. So I'd be very interested in building one.

If you're planning to release drawings and templates that would be great. I'd be very pleased to give one of these a go.

Roger Carpenter.
MDF

Postby Purple Bob » Sun Sep 15, 2013 2:36 pm

MDF wrote:If you're planning to release drawings and templates that would be great. I'd be very pleased to give one of these a go.

Right now, they're not in a format that you could use Roger, But I will turn them into a proper drawing set within the next few months and anybody who asks on here for them, I'll be happy to send a set to.

I get the Nickname, I'm assuming it's Carpenter -- MDF. :lol: Amusing :D

Yup! I'll be updating the thread with actual build pictures as well as the 3D Sketchup models, very soon.... depends how much interest people show in it really.

Best Regards,
Purple Bob.
Purple Bob
Site Admin

Postby MDF » Sun Sep 15, 2013 3:11 pm

Yeah! It's what they call me in the pub. At least what they call me when I can hear them :D

Good to hear that you are going to do some cutting plans for it. I think I might build one once you do that. I hope enough people ask for them that you think it's worthwhile.

Roger
MDF

Return to RC and Other Model Boats..... Anything On Water