Purple Bob's Hobbies

Bob's Little Purple Bear Cave Of Model Kit And Hobby Supplies
Welcome To Purple Bob's Hobbies Forum

1:43 model cars

cars, trucks, lorries, die casts, slot cars and other models.

1:43 model cars

Postby mikeC » Thu Aug 22, 2013 7:03 pm

My main modelling interest is 1:43 cars; for years my little collection has have been displayed in tight ranks in an antique display cabinet (actually an old bookcase):

Not very inspiring... so earlier this year I decided to attempt my first diorama display. I started with something simple - a concourse d'elegance display of 1930s French cars. A bit of green baize from a damaged snooker table and some plastic fencing was all that was needed:

It all looked a bit bare, so a job lot of figures was added to make it complete:

So now I have started on my next scene, a street scene using PB's terraced houses. Owing to the restricted size of the cabinet I'm using, I shall have to modify the houses to reduce the depth they take up.

Watch this space for more developments...
mikeC

Re: 1:43 model cars

Postby Micron » Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:05 pm

Nice display.... Will certainly keep watching as you add a terrace Mike... Welcome to the forum.

Best regards,
Jules.
Micron
Global Moderator

Postby Janet M » Sat Aug 31, 2013 3:08 pm

Hi mikeC. Great collection of model cars. I just wondered how many you have and how long has it taken to collect them and what is your oldest model ?
I like the way you have started to exhibit them, it's a good idea. I'll keep looking to see your next set of pictures.

cheers
Janet M
Janet M

Postby mikeC » Tue Sep 03, 2013 11:01 pm

Janet M wrote:Hi mikeC. Great collection of model cars. I just wondered how many you have and how long has it taken to collect them and what is your oldest model ?

Not that many, perhaps a hundred or so; as for how long... well, I suppose it's taken all my life, since the first ones in my collection were given by my father as a Christening present and early Birthday and Christmas presents! I cannot be sure, but I think this was the first one:

The oldest models are early Dinky toys, although the earliest representation is this Rio Fiat bus:

mikeC

Postby Honey Monster » Fri Sep 06, 2013 9:32 am

mikeC wrote:I suppose it's taken all my life, since the first ones in my collection were given by my father as a Christening present and early Birthday and Christmas presents!

It's great that you've been collecting from such a young age MIke.

My brother was mad on model cars when he was a lad, but over time they ended up broken and thrown in the bin (usually when our Dad stepped on them :? )

Do you exhibit your collection at any shows?

All the best
Naomi
Honey Monster
Global Moderator

Postby mikeC » Sun Feb 02, 2014 4:50 pm

I have, at last, started on my street scene!
I knew I was going to need to adapt the standard PB kits, as the cabinet I am using is too shallow to use the full depth of the kits. However, I decided it was best to build a kit as intended so that I could see how I would need to modify them. I chose to start with the simplest, the standard terraced house:

It proved surprisingly simple to build - it must be forty years since I last did anything like this!

So to the project proper...

I needed to reduce the depth to about 60mm from the kerb to the back of the display, so that means the building itself will only be 12-13mm deep. The front could be assembled as per instructions, but I decided to dispense with the inner strengthening units - nope, I needed to at least use the end pieces in order to give the building sufficient strength:

Even then, the assembly was looking a bit flimsy; fortunately I had chosen the terraced houses with bay windows, which adds considerable rigidity. The roof assembly over the bays helps enormously, but I needed to add a tab in the centre of the building to support the little bit of the main roof:

I made a few minor mistakes with this unit: I forgot to glaze one of the bays :roll: although I was able to rectify that with care, and I should have taken the advice in the instructions and added curtains to the bays. I also overlooked the advice to shade the inner face of the tabs in the bays...

I have another bay window kit to make a four house row, so perhaps the second one will show some improvement, then I have a corner shop and also the undertakers building, which I intend to convert to a village garage; watch this space...
mikeC

Postby Purple Bob » Wed Feb 05, 2014 11:15 am

Looking good Mike.... :D

Thanks for posting your pictures. It's always nice to see how people modify the designs to suit the situation. It often sparks new ideas.

Best Regards,
Purple Bob.
Purple Bob
Site Admin

Postby jimbo jones » Fri Feb 07, 2014 10:14 pm

mikeC wrote:I have, at last, started on my street scene!

I have to agree with Bob. It's all looking very good. What glues are you using to assemble your models? I've tried a couple of different wood glues and I'm still not sure what works best.

Jim.
jimbo jones

Postby mikeC » Sat Feb 08, 2014 3:02 pm

Jim, I am sure any general purpose white glue will do for the main construction; I use the glue that Purple Bob supplies, which works quite well, although the applicator has a ball which requires some considerable pressure to release the glue. This means you really need to apply the glue to the unfolded components; trying to apply the glue to folded flaps with nothing much to support them is a bit of a pain!
For the acetate sheet for the windows I use a cheap multi-purpose glue from the local handiman's shop; again I don't think the choice is critical bear in mind I am only just assembling the kits now, they have not had time to develop any time-related faults...

mikeC

Postby mikeC » Sat Feb 08, 2014 6:48 pm

And here is the street beginning to develop. Once I have assembled all the kits, I will shuffle them round to decide the final order, and probably adjust the gaps between buildings:

mikeC

Postby Janet M » Mon Feb 17, 2014 4:10 pm

Hi Mike, I like the way you have adapted the models to suit your needs, they look great. It was well worth all the hard work you put into them. By the way I love the yellow fiat bus.

Janet
Janet M

Postby mikeC » Fri Dec 12, 2014 10:10 pm

I have been a bit lax in updating this thread, partly because I haven't really finished things; this is far as I have got, because I have got side-tracked with my full-size cars! Perhaps I'll get back to modelling now the weather has turned colder...

I have been playing with ideas for lighting, as the cabinet is in a rather dark corner of the room, but the lights I have installed don't really help with the photography; perhaps I'll try again with good old flash!
mikeC

Postby Janet M » Sat Dec 13, 2014 12:50 pm

It's interesting to see more pictures of your work/hobby. Thank you.

Janet
Janet M

Return to RC and Other Model Cars.... Anything On or Off Road