Purple Bob's Hobbies

Bob's Little Purple Bear Cave Of Model Kit And Hobby Supplies
Welcome To Purple Bob's Hobbies Forum

Of trestles bridges and such

A place to show off your scratch built models or post model making tutorials

Of trestles bridges and such

Postby allan downes » Fri Dec 26, 2014 7:45 pm

two mining structures here were made out of American bass wood suitably aged by soaking the strips in Colron Jacobean Dark Oak wood dye then whilst still wet, sprayed over all sides with Halfords matt white primer where after a while the dye will bleed through the paint leaving the weathered effect as seen in the photo's.

The mahogany 5mm x 0.5mm boarding strips are glued to a 2mm card backing , sprayed with the primer, then dry brushed with the Jacobean dARK Oak wood working down the grain with a half inch flat brush.

Cheers.
Allan

MINE BUILDING 3 001.JPG[/attachment

][attachment=1]TRESTLE BRIDGE THREE 008.JPG[/attachm

[attachment=0]MINE BUILDING 3 005.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
allan downes

Re: Of trestles bridges and such

Postby Micron » Sat Dec 27, 2014 2:00 am

Ahhh!! That's how you're getting that weather washed and worn look. I did wonder, because the timber on those looks very natural. Weathered timber is one of the finishes we use on our card kits and it takes a lot of work to get it looking exactly right. It's a much more difficult finish to make look real than many people realise.

Best regards.
Jules (Micron)
Micron
Global Moderator

Postby allan downes » Sat Dec 27, 2014 12:51 pm

Micron wrote:Ahhh!! That's how you're getting that weather washed and worn look. I did wonder, because the timber on those looks very natural. Weathered timber is one of the finishes we use on our card kits and it takes a lot of work to get it looking exactly right. It's a much more difficult finish to make look real than many people realise.

Best regards.
Jules (Micron)

Hi Jules.

It's generally accepted that weathering is a fine art but since I don't do 'fine art' I had to devise quicker, simpler and equally as effective ways of weathering anything from lamp huts to loco's and will be sharing my methods on here later. Prepare yourself for some rather mucky modelling !

Cheers.
Allan
allan downes

Postby allan downes » Sun Dec 28, 2014 8:05 pm

Here's some further shots taken in the magnificent Immingham/Grimsby/Scunthorpe sunshine !

Cheers.

Allan

MINE SUNSHINE SHOTS 001.JPG

MINE SUNSHINE SHOTS 010.JPG

MINE SUNSHINE SHOTS 004.JPG

MINE SUNSHINE SHOTS 001.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
allan downes

Return to Scratch Building and Model Making Tutorials